Substitutions and Asking for Advice
August 26, 2011
Posted by on
When planning the 4 person wedding shower, my boss put a sign up sheet in the kitchen for people to mark down what kind of food they’d bring. I had originally written “cookie dough bites”, knowing they’d be a hit, but had to change my plans at the last-minute when Angela posted her chocolate chunk toffee bar recipe on Wednesday.
Angela said they were a byproduct of PMS symptoms, and I immediately identified with that! 😉 She was curious if other nut butters or flours might work, so I thought I’d try some substitutions.
I think I over did it.
– 1/2 c slivered almonds, 1/2 c walnuts (instead of 1 cup walnuts)
– coconut flour for spelt flour (grabbed some free from Swanson and have been looking for a reason to try it)
– sunflower seed butter for peanut butter (trying to use it up since I’m not infatuated with it)
– chocolate/peanut butter chips for chocolate chunks (I’ve had them in the pantry awhile and couldn’t ever find a reason to use them)
– date syrup (homemade from Chelsey’s recipe) for brown rice syrup
Not that I’m too discouraged – they still tasted good – just not quite chewy, moist, or toffee-like. They were dry, cakey granola bars, and they were one of the healthiest options at our luncheon – and my fellow dietitian (and good friend) assured me they were delicious.
Liking the photos from the fancy new camera? I definitely need to play around and learn how to use all of the features!
HELP! I need advice from the more experienced bloggers out there: should I purchase my own domain? If I do, should I buy hosting through WordPress, or purchase it elsewhere?