I’ve recently been tagged by my blog-bud Melissa to complete a survey and fellow Pittsburgh chick Michelle for a food list “award”. Here are the details:
- #1 You must post these rules.
#2 Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
#3 Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
- Lactose Free Lizzie Award: ” The blogger that is tagged must host an award thing-ama-gig about FOOD. Yes, food (it’s the food awards). Anything related to it. A food blogger, a company, a favorite meal, or even whatever you like to sprinkle on your popcorn. After you are finished you tag 3 other bloggers to host a Food Award ceremony (aka a post)”
So this will be a post similar to Friday Favorites / Miscellaneous Monday. Enjoy!
11 Things About Me
- I’m a dietitian but I entered college as an English Writing major. Then switched to pre-med, pre-pharm, and ended up in Biochemistry. I didn’t take the MCAT or apply to grad school, but got a flyer for the Masters program in Clinical Dietetics a few weeks before graduation. Woot!
- I played tennis from age 6 through highschool, then really didn’t keep up with it in college. I was never all that good (I played first singles on my highschool team, but we were pretty pathetic), but I do miss it.
- I gave up red meat after trying the “Atkins” thing in college and thinking I just needed lower fat proteins. Then we watched a video in Food Science on stuffing a whole turkey and that was the end of me + poultry. I figured it was as good a time as any to learn how to fuel myself with a mostly plant-based diet.
- My husband and I went to highschool together but didn’t know each other. Our younger brothers (mine 10 years younger and his 12 years younger) are now teammates on the tennis team and set us up.
- I’d love to go to med school some day. My dream job would be as a Pediatrician.
- I could never be vegan. I’m obsessed with cheese, eggs, and yogurt.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have been a losing team for 17 years, but my family has been season ticket holders for about that long. Since all of 10 people in the city really love baseball and the team, I wrote an entry for a “Real Fan” contest, ended up winning and had a larger than life sized poster in PNC Park for half a season.
- My ankle injury (which was never definitively diagnosed as a torn tendon or broken bone) is acting up again. Just when I was running 3+ miles without pain.
- I’ve lived in Pittsburgh all my life. Only applied to Pitt for college + gradschool. No plans of leaving any time soon.
- If I had no other ties or comittments and unlimited funds, I would move to Italy and never look back.
- I don’t know what my favorite color is. I guess I’d have to say pink, but I went through a hardcore purple phase back in middleschool. There was even an “I ❤ Purple” giftware line back at that time, and my mother bought me everything from hats to notepads. Over purple these days.
Now Melissa’s 11 Questions…
1. What’s one goal you’ve achieved that you never thought you could? I don’t know if there’s anything I’ve ever considered myself “unable” to accomplish. Maybe running a 1/2 marathon one day, based on my ankle injury.
2. Is your life now what you thought it would be 10 years ago? If I look back on my 16 year old self, I don’t know what I saw my future looking like – I’ve always wanted to get married and have healthy children, and I can check the first one off my list!
3. What’s your favorite quote? “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit.” I think it applies to being healthy, too!
4. Do you like to read? What was the last book you read? I love to read but it puts me to sleep! I just finished “A Secret Kept” and am currently reading “The Elegance of the Hedgehog”.
5. Do you think you’re photogenic? I think there are equal numbers of embarrassing and flattering photos out there.
6. When was the last time you made a new friend? I think I make new “blog friends” all the time – “real life” friends less often.
7. Do you wear nail polish? Having my nails nicely painted makes me feel so much more put together, but I have a terrible habit of picking at them once they start to chip! For that reason, I LOVE shellac!
8. What’s one food that other people go crazy over that you could take or leave? Scallops!
9. What was the last thing you tried that was completely new to you? My mother in-law’s vegetarian stuffed cabbage that she made specially for me.
10. Do you like to take risks or play it safe? I’m more on the safe side!
11. What is the best experience you’ve had in the past year? Marrying my bestfriend and soul mate!
And as for the other “foodie list” part of things…
5 Things I Can’t Leave Trader Joes Without
- Brown Rice California Roll (even though I found a piece of plastic in it once)
- Reduced Guilt Tortilla chips (no brainer)
- Hummus – either roasted garlic or tomato basil
- Pizza dough – the best ever, and only 99 cents!
- Protein – I typically pick up both their tempeh and sprouted tofu – great staples to have in the fridge!
I’m going to combine these two surveys – sorry if it’s breaking the rules – and tell me about your 11 favorite foods (restaurant, grocery store, or homemade)! I’m tagging people I want to know more about:
You guys can follow the original rules if you want, too. 😉
I want to hear from you, too! Tell me some random facts or random foods you love!