After yesterday’s WIAW post, I got a lot of feedback and questions about the homemade lemon curd I mentioned on my breakfast cookie. First of all, some people hadn’t heard of the breakfast cookie – and I can’t take credit for the Fitnessista’s grand invention. Secondly, the lemon curd was homemade, but not by me. My wonderful aunt made it and gave us some as a gift, so I e-mailed her for the recipe to share it with all of you.
This morning’s cookie was a triple chocolate indulgence topped with greek yogurt and banana. I made it in a deeper dish than usual, but wouldn’t recommend it – they work best in a shallow bowl or dish to get an even consistency.
1/3 cup oats
1.5 Tbsp melted peanut butter
1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 tsp dark chocolate cocoa powder
1/2 scoop chocolate Green Superfood
dash of vanilla
3 Tbsp soy milk
– Mushed all together and left in the fridge over night – topped this morning with 1/4 cup Fage 0% and 1/2 banana (forgive the awful lighting – my lovely cube!).
On to the recipe for this fabulous lemon curd – this is all that remains!
Aunt J’s Lemon Curd (courtesy of Cooking Light):
1 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1) Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan.
2) Add juice and eggs. Bring mixture to a boil while whisking constantly.
3) Reduce heat and continue to stir until thickened, about 1 minute.
4) Remove pan from heat; add in butter and lemon rind, and stir until butter is melted.
5) Cover and chill in refrigerator until completely cooled and thickened.
Makes about 1.5 cups.
Approximate nutrition for 1 tbsp serving: 35 calories, 1 g fat, 6g carbs, 0.5 g protein
As you know I’ve enjoyed it on a plain breakfast cookie… but I’ve also been munching it with animal crackers, on muffins, and toast. Everyone thought that the homemade curd sounded extravagant, but it’s really a simple recipe!
Do you have any simple recipes that fool others into thinking you’ve slaved in the kitchen for hours?